An Insight into Non-Executive roles – Tony Keohane
We had a very thought-provoking discussion on non-executive roles at our recent virtual Members’ Meeting with Ervia and Repak Chairman Tony Keohane. A few of the many key points were:
- The transition from an executive to a non-executive role should not be underestimated. It is important to spend the time to acquire a deep understanding of the business. Setting the ‘tone from the top’ is extremely important.
- Understand that the role of a non-executive is to encourage and support the leadership of the organisation. Keys decisions can be challenged appropriately if the foundation of encouragement and support is in place.
- The necessity of staying focused on the long term and strategic issues as a board member despite the challenges of current events such as Covid-19.
- It is often necessary to lean against the natural rhythm of the business i.e. if the natural rhythm is to make quick decisions and move on then as a non-executive one should take the time to consider the wider picture.
- The importance of a chairman getting the appropriate skills mix and diversity onto the board as the board members are rotated.